Short-Term Rental Guidelines for the City of Santa Cruz

June 20, 2023

Short-Term Rental Guidelines for the City of Santa Cruz

There are two ways to legally “AirB&B” aka convert your home into a short-term rental (STR) in the City of Santa Cruz:

1/ Non-Hosted STR Permit

This permit allows you to rent your home year-round with no restrictions. However, the quota has been met for these types of permits so, unless you have an existing permit, your only option is to apply for a permit and join the waitlist. 

2/ Hosted STR Permit

If you live in your home for more than six months out of the year, you are eligible to apply for a hosted STR permit. For duplex and multi-family properties, you are allowed to convert one unit on site for STR purposes as long as you live at another unit on the property for more than 6 months per year.

The City of Santa Cruz is accepting applications, and the process is straightforward. You can apply online here.

Note that if you have an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) anywhere on the property, you are ineligible for an STR permit. 


Let's Talk

You’ve got questions and we can’t wait to answer them.